Fuse is the state's largest progressive organization - people creating change online, on the ground, and on issues that matter.
Our goals at Fuse are to help progressives win more often and give ordinary people a strong voice in politics. We aim to provide organizing and communications power that helps progressives win today and tomorrow on critical issues and electoral campaigns, while strengthening the foundation for increased success over time. There are four basic strategies we use to help win campaigns and build long-term progressive success:
- Organizing: We mobilize grassroots activists online and offline, build councils of local leaders in key areas that drive the state's balance of power, and we organize political donors. We also organize coalitions when leveraging collaboration is critical to a campaign's success and Fuse is strategically well positioned to do so.
- Communications: We deliver stories and messages that move people through new media and the news media, and we train others in the progressive community to communicate more effectively as well. We also produce high-quality research to support targeted campaigns and understand our opponents.
- Increasing accountability and promoting leadership: We hold decision-makers' feet to the fire when they let voters down, and we back leaders who fuel progress.
- Targeting the obstacles to progress: Our highest priority is to solve the political problems that hold everyone back.
Fuse has several strengths as an organization that fuel our work:
- A culture of innovation and creativity: we always aim to be an innovation engine and a game changer.
- Long-term timeline and a focus on movement and capacity building: our strategies are designed to build long-term power for progressives in Washington while also delivering short-term results.
- Speed and nimbleness: we possess a dynamic flexibility to tackle urgent challenges and capitalize on opportunities.
Frequent Asked Questions
- What does Fuse stand for? Fuse isn't actually an acronym. The idea for the name came from a) "fusion" or people coming together and b) a fuse that acts as a catalyst.
- When was Fuse founded? Fuse was founded in 2007 to help change the political landscape in Washington State. We celebrated our 10-year anniversary recently!
- Where does Fuse work? Fuse is a Washington state focused organization. The current landscape has caused us to increase our advocacy at the federal level, however our main focus is advocating for progressive reforms at the state and local level and building the progressive movement here at home.
- How many people work at Fuse? We currently have 19 staff positions. This includes communicators, organizers, and campaign-related positions.